Unofficial WA Reds supporters Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mead wants maroon jersey

Go down

Mead wants maroon jersey Empty Mead wants maroon jersey

Post by Redszone Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:51 pm

TITANS flyer David Mead has declared his dream to play State of Origin for Queensland.

In a stunning revelation, the Papua New Guinea-born winger who was raised in Lismore, yesterday flagged his desire to one day wear a Maroon jumper in rugby league's toughest arena.

Mead starred for his homeland at the 2008 World Cup, was named 2009 PNG player of the year and was the face of the Kumuls for last season's Four Nations tournament before he was ruled out with injury.

But in a shock new twist, said he would investigate his eligibility for Queensland this season in the event a future opportunity arises.

"I would definitely love to play Origin," the 23-year-old said.

"I have always gone for Queensland actually, growing up in PNG, so I feel I would rather play for Queensland.

"If the opportunity did come I would be pretty happy."

Mead moved from Port Moresby to Northern NSW when he was 10, finishing his schooling at Kadina High School and Trinity Catholic College while playing junior rugby league for Lismore Marist Brothers.

While he would have a strong case to represent the Blues, Mead could also be eligible for the Maroons because he played what is regarded as his first senior footy in Queensland - for the Gold Coast Titans in the Toyota Cup under-20s competition.

But in order to play Origin, Mead would need to apply for special dispensation from the Rugby League International Federation, revoking his PNG allegiance, to be considered for representative honours in Australia.

Lam was one of the first to see the talent in Mead, handing him his Test debut for the Kumuls while he was still playing in the Gold Coast under-20 side.

A former PNG captain, Lam is one of only a few players to have played State of Origin for Queensland and for a country other than Australia.

Mead said he had spoken with Lam about playing Origin.

"He has spoken to me about it and he reckons there would be an opportunity there," Mead said.

"He just told me to keep playing well and you never know something might open up and I will get lucky."

Mead has played 29 first grade games for the Titans since making his NRL debut mid-way though 2009.

A try-scoring machine with speed to burn, he was on track for a breakout season in 2010 before a serious foot injury in Round 16 sidelined him out for the remainder of the year.

Mead, who has piled on 4kg over the pre-season and now tips the scales at 91kg, showed he had lost none of his pace with a sensational 100m solo try against the Cowboys in Cairns last Saturday.

He will start on the wing for the Titans in their season-opening blockbuster against the Dragons on March 12.

"It felt good to get a bit of a stretch out, the legs feel good," he said.

"I feel good at 91kg, still feel like the speed hasn't gone anywhere.

"I feel I can still improve from what I was before, so it is all positives from here.

"I just need to concentrate on doing all the little things right here at the Titans first.

"If representative stuff comes then that would be a big bonus but I am just happy to be playing first grade."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/03/02/296175_gold-coast-lead-story.html
Redszone
Redszone
Admin
Admin

https://wa-redszone.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Mead wants maroon jersey Empty Re: Mead wants maroon jersey

Post by Redszone Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:53 pm

Born in PNG, played for PNG in the 2008 Rugby League World Cup.

Played his junior footy in Lismore (NSW) for the Marist Brothers, he was also a Lismore School boy.

I don't see how he qualifies for the Queensland State of Origin team.
Redszone
Redszone
Admin
Admin

https://wa-redszone.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum