Unofficial WA Reds supporters Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby league now part of school curriculum

Go down

Rugby league now part of school curriculum Empty Rugby league now part of school curriculum

Post by Redszone Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:54 pm

Rugby league now part of school curriculum

NRLWed, Apr 06, 2011 - 12:00 PM

NRL Chief Executive David Gallop today launched an inspiring program that takes rugby league out of the playground and into high school classrooms as part of the curriculum.

The motivational ‘Dream Believe Achieve’ program, which features a documentary-style DVD and complementary teaching resource, is the result of months of research and planning with education experts and sends a powerful message to both teachers and students about goal-setting and striving to achieve your dreams.

Aligned with high school personal development and health curriculum, the program can be used nationally with both the DVD and teaching resource available to high schools for free through www.rloc.com.au.

In the DVD, players including Josh Dugan and Bronson Harrison (Canberra Raiders), Tim Mannah, Jarryd Hayne and Daniel Mortimer (Parramatta Eels), Peter Wallace and Sam Thaiday (Brisbane Broncos), Will Zillman and Preston Campbell (Gold Coast Titans), Nathan Merritt (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Jason King (Manly Sea Eagles) and Mitchell Pearce and Jason Ryles (Sydney Roosters) talk intimately about the challenges and dreams they have faced in their lives.

“It doesn’t matter where you are or where you grow up or what you have been through, you can always have a dream and you can always achieve that dream,” says Eels star Jarryd Hayne in the DVD.

“People didn’t believe in me, they didn’t think I would be able to become a professional sports person, but I believed in myself, believed in my talent and my attitude and I am here now, I have had 13 seasons in the NRL,” Titans dynamo Preston Campbell says.

“There are a lot of people in the world that have to deal with tough circumstances every day and they still get through it, and they still do the things they want to do. It comes down to self-belief,” says Australian and Broncos forward Sam Thaiday.

Gallop today joined NRL Director of Community, Culture and Diversity, Trish Crews, Dragons winger Jason Nightingale and senior lecturer in High School Health Education, Dr Janet Currie, plus teachers and students for the official launch of the program at Sydney’s Entertainment Quarter.

“It is timely that we are here today to launch ‘Dream Believe Achieve’ on the eve of the Men of League Heritage Round,” Gallop said.

“We all have our heroes of the past, the people we looked up to and those who helped shape our dreams.

“Today we launch a program that takes those dreams into the classroom in a way that is part of a structured curriculum and in a way that helps young women and young men understand the importance of having a dream, of goal setting and of the ways to build towards those aspirations.

“One of the greatest things about this program is that it doesn’t matter whether you play rugby league, follow rugby league or know nothing about the game. All young people have dreams and all wonder about the road ahead.

“The players featured in ‘Dream Believe Achieve’ are people who have dreamed, believed and achieved. They have faced the same challenges, the same doubts and the same crossroads as the young people who will watch this video.

“Nathan Merritt grew up on The Block in Redfern, Jason King enjoyed a private school education on the North Shore, Preston Campbell emerged from the tiny town of Tingha to be recognised by prime ministers as an Indigenous leader and Mitchell Pearce grew up dealing with the weight of other people’s expectations.

“From these very different backgrounds emerge common themes and valuable lessons and they will help teachers to inspire high school students to reach their full potential in all aspects of life and most of all, to have a dream.”

Trialled as part of this year’s annual Community Carnival, ‘Dream Believe Achieve’ builds on the success of Rugby League’s One Community ‘Eat Well, Play Well, Stay Well’ program, which teaches important healthy lifestyle messages to primary school students, and the ‘Rugby League Reads’ program which uses a series of English Syllabus-focused magazines and complementary teaching resources to inspire children to read and improve their literacy skills.

This latest initiative is rugby league’s first designed specifically for secondary students and addresses the importance of being positive, believing in yourself, setting goals, having a dream, avoiding risk taking behaviour, facing adversity, staying in school and getting an education, resiliency, working hard in life, finding support in family and friends and reaching goals.

The teaching resource was written in collaboration with Dr Janet Currie from the Australian Centre for Child & Youth, a research facility of the University of Technology, Sydney, and aligns with secondary classroom syllabus lessons for personal development and health.

Each activity within the teaching resource has been designed so that students can demonstrate an achievement of knowledge, skills and value outcomes, which they can then translate to real life situations outside of the classroom.

http://www.nrl.com/rugby-league-now-part-of-school-curriculum/tabid/10874/newsid/62125/default.aspx
Redszone
Redszone
Admin
Admin

https://wa-redszone.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down